The Palolo Chinese Home originated in the 19th century through the efforts of Hawaii’s community unified by values of respect for the aged. In 1896, 326 Chinese immigrants to Hawaii joined together to provide for others less fortunate who had grown too old or infirmed to continue working Hawaii’s plantations and ranches. Known first as Wai Wah Yee Yin Chinese Hospital, the first facility was founded in 1897 in Kapalama near Honolulu’s Chinatown. Need soon outstripped this modest beginning and many elderly Chinese were again forced to sleep in Chinese family or district organization halls. Additional funds were raised from the community and in 1917 the organization acquired 15 acres in the rural area of Palolo Valley. It was then known as the Palolo Chinese Old Men’s Home. Since inception, the Home and its predecessor the Chinese Hospital, had served men of all ethnicities. Palolo Chinese Home was expanded to include women residents in 1972.